WordPress.org is a very popular and world-wide used content management system (CMS) that provides the simplest way to start a blog or website. Ecwid is an easy and fast way for you to open an online store right on your Wordpress site.
- Advanced setup
- How secure is this plugin?
- How to add my store to Facebook?
- How to show different store categories on different Wordpress pages?
- How to add a single product on a page or post of my site?
- How to display the store on the site homepage?
- How to add store products to the sitemap?
If you run your site or blog on self-hosted WordPress platform, you can quickly and easily add Ecwid store on any page of your site. Just install this plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/ecwid-shopping-cart/ as a usual plugin via your site administration panel. Please, follow these steps install Ecwid plugin:
- In your WordPress admin backend, navigate to Plugins → Add New.
- Under Search, type in Ecwid and click Search.
- In the search results find the Ecwid Shopping Cart plugin and click Install now to install it.
- When plugin is installed click Activate Plugin link.
- Navigate to Ecwid Store → General page in your WordPress admin backend and follow the instruction provided there.
You can also take a look at this video to observe steps to install Ecwid on a Wordpress site:
On the next step you can proceed to your store configuration.
- Set the number of products per page for each of the product browser views
- Choose the category that you want to open by default
- Set the number of categories per row
- Choose the default view mode on product pages
- Choose the default view mode on search results
On Appearance -> Widgets page you can activate the built-in sidebar widgets provided by the plugin:
- Minicart widget allows you to place a shopping bag icon into your sidebar
- Search widget allows you to create a search box in the sidebar and let your customers look for the products they want on every page of the site
- Vertical categories widget is useful when you have a wide sidebar and want to list your store categories there
- Store page link is a simple link to your store page, which can be very useful when you don't have a pages navigation menu and want to provide your customers with a simple way to open the store page
- Recently viewed products is a sidebar widget allowing your customers to see what products they visited on your site and return to those product pages. This is a great tool to increase visibility of the store products and generate more sales, because the sidebar is in most cases displayed on every page of the site and thus always visible for the customers. The links and images in the sidebar are updated automatically as the customer browses the store. So the customer can anytime return to the product they previously opened, and probably decide to buy it.
Alternatively you access your Ecwid control panel via this link: https://my.ecwid.com
You can also manage your store using our mobile apps for iOS and Android. You can download them:
- from the App Store
- from Google Play
You can enable Chameleon on the "Advanced" tab in the Ecwid plugin settings in your Wordpress backend.
To enable this feature, you need to enter a secret key on the Ecwid store -> Advanced page of your WordPress admin backend. You will find this key in your Ecwid control panel, on the "Legacy API Keys" page. This feature is available for paid users only.
- Avalanche allows to add sliders and random products to the pages of your site.
- SmartSlider3 is another extension for creating sliders. Please refer to the instruction here: http://doc.smartslider3.com/article/103-ecwid-generator
- Google XML Sitemaps is an extension for generating a sitemap with product pages.
- Yoast Wordpress SEO is another plugin that will generate a sitemap that will include products and categories pages for faster store indexation.
We in Ecwid made sure all the merchants' and buyers' data are protected. We pay maximum attention to security in Ecwid, keeping data of the merchants and buyers safe is our highest priority.
1) Ecwid is PCI DSS validated.
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of security standards developed by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and JCB credit card brands. The standards aim at protecting all card holders and impose on all organizations (be it online or offline) who anyhow deal with credit cards. Usually these are companies like payment processors (e.g., PayPal, Stripe, Authorize.net, etc), banks, e-commerce solutions which process credit cards.
Ecwid is PCI DSS validated Level 1 Service Provider which is the gold standard for e-commerce solutions worldwide. So all Ecwid customers' payment information is completely safe. This also means that when selling online with Ecwid, you can provide PCI DSS compliance reports to your customers, the acquiring bank and card brands you do business with. You can check Ecwid Attestaion of PCI DSS Compliance here: http://static.ecwid.com/wp-content/themes/ecwid/docs/Ecwid-2015-PCI-DSS-Attestation-of-Compliance.pdf
Ecwid is integrated with 45+ trusted payment gateways which are also PCI DSS compliant so all the payments are processed securely.
More details: Customers’ data security in Ecwid
2) Store data is secured.
Ecwid is a hosted SaaS shopping cart, which means all stores data (products, categories, images, orders, etc.) are hosted on our servers and delivered to the customers in background by means of AJAX. We rely on secure Amazon Web Services (particularly, Amazon EC2) to store Ecwid data and applications. As a result of such an approach, you entrust your store data to Ecwid and not to anybody else, regardless of where your store is installed. We take care of backups as well as of your store security, software updates, server maintenance and many other routine tasks.
We have an inhouse team of engineers who work on maintaining and improving the system, plus automatic monitoring of server activities 24/7. So all the technical work is done totally by us, you don't have to think about it. More details in this article: Backups
This means that in case your site or hosting is down for some reason, the store is up and running. Even if your site or hosting is vulnerable to malware or hacker attacks, your store (storefront and backend) is not, it is totally safe on our servers.
You might as well move to a different site, you will be be able to put the store on a new platform in no time. It is totally possible to add your store to your Facebook business page and sell right there. All the orders placed via Facebook storefront will be managed in the same Ecwid Dashboard. If you do not have an Ecwid account yet, you can create it on Ecwid site and then add the store to your Facebook page following the instructions on our app page here: http://apps.facebook.com/ecwid-shop/ Likewise you can add your existing store to to Facebook page and manage both storefronts from the single control panel.
Please check the detailed instruction on adding your store to Facebook in our Help Center here: Facebook
You may want to create your own store navigation on your Wordpress site so that each of your store categories will reside on a separate Wordpress page. Ecwid plugin supports such a setup. Here is how you can do that:
- Create a separate Wordpress page for each category (WP admin backend -> Pages).
- Click "Add store" button.
- In the popup specify the widgets you want to show on the page.
- Use the "Appearance" tab to specify the default category and the categories and products layout.
In addition to embedding a whole product catalog on your Wordpress site, you can also feature a single product on a separate page or blog post of your site and allow your customers to purchase the product right from that page. You can use [ecwid_product] shortcode for this.
To embed a product on a page or post
- Open the page or post in the editor in your Wordpress site backend ("Pages" or "Posts" section correspondingly)
- Add the following code to any place of the page code: [ecwid_product id="12345"]
- Do not forget to replace 12345 with the actual product ID. See also: How to get ID of your product
- Save the changes
That's all, the product widget should appear on your site.
In addition, the [ecwid_product] shortcode supports several parameters that you can use to customize the look of product on your site. Here are them:
'link' defines whether the picture and title of resulting widget should be linked to the product details page inside the main Store page on your site. Supported values:
To display the products on the homepage of your site, please, follow these steps:
[ecwid_product id="12345"] [ecwid_product id="12345" display="picture title price"] [ecwid_product id="12345" display="title picture"] [ecwid_product id="12345" display="picture title addtobag" link="no"]
- Open your Wordpress site admin backend
- Navigate to "Settings -> Reading"
- Enable the "Static page" mode under the "Front page displays" option
- Choose your store page in the drop-down list as the one that should be displayed on the main page
- Save the changes and go check your site.
Please note that this option is available to paid Ecwid user.
The custom code of a HTML/JS modification (e.g. custom translation or any other modification) should be placed in the HTML code of Wordpress page where your Ecwid store is installed. When you use our ready Wordpress plugin, it creates a special page for the store. In your WP Admin → Pages it can be usually found as a page entitled 'Store'. You need to go editing the store page, switch your editor to HTML mode (a gray tab on the top right of editable area) and paste the code in there (after Ecwid integration code). Then you need to apply the changes by pressing Update button on the right column.